JNTU III B.Tech II Semester Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
PETRO CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
1. Compare natural gas with crude oil as a fuel. Also discuss pollution related problems with both the feeds.
2. What is fractionation? Write short notes on it with a neat diagram? What is their application in petrochemical industry? Why it is preferred to other process in petrochemical industry?
3. Discuss the influence of the following parameters in naphtha cracking operation.
(b) Partial Pressure
(c) Total pressure
(d) Residence time
(e) Coil diameter
(f) C/H ratio
(g) Molecular weight of the feed stock.
(h) Influence of inerts in feed stock.
4. (a) What is polymerization?
(b) Give an example of polymerization for a finished product.
(c) How does it improve the quality of gasoline.
5. (a) For getting good alkylated gasoline what are the paraffins required?
(b) Alkylation is reverse of cracking Explain.
6. (a) How is propylene obtained in a large scale?
(b) Name important derivatives of propylene.
7. (a) Name some higher olefins directly used in detergent industry.
(b) Describe the process of chlorination of olefins.
8. Describe the production of styrene with the aid of a flow sheet.