JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, November 2008
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
1. (a) Give the classification and composition of glass.
(b) State the general properties of glass.
2. (a) What are the factors affecting the strength of bricks.
(b) Write briefly about the different tests for bricks.
3. (a) What is a pozzolanic Material?
(b) Write the properties, advantages and disadvantages of pozzolana cement?
4. (a) Explain the qualities of a good timber.
(b) Explain defects due to seasoning.
5. (a) What is a raft foundation ? When and where is it preferred to other shallow foundations. Explain with a neat sketch.
(b) What are floating foundations? Where are they useful? How does they differ
from other foundations.
6. (a) Discuss the advantages of modular bricks .
(b) Discuss the advantages of brick masonry over stone masonry.
7. Define roof covering? What are the various types of roof coverings commonly adopted in India? Explain them in detail.
8. Mention the objectives of providing painting and plastering to the exposed surfaces