JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, November 2008
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
1. How is soluble glass prepared? What are glass blocks and explain the importance of glass as an engineering material.
2. Explain how the tiles are manufactured.
3. (a) What are the various ingredients of cement concrete. Explain their importance.
(b) What is setting of cement. How initial and final setting of cement is determined in the laboratory?
4. (a) Describe the process of conversion of timber.
(b) What are the factors that affect physical properties of steel.
5. Write short notes with neat sketches for the following types of foundations
(a) Spread footing.
(b) Foundations on cavities and old wells.
6. (a) List out various types of masonry. State the uses of Stone masonry.
(b) Compare and contrast stone masonry and Brick masonry.
7. Explain the following with the help of neat sketches:-
(a) Queen post truss.
(b) Madras terrace roofs.
8. Write an explanatory note on constituents of paints and characteristics of a good paint.