JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, November 2008
DATA BASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
( Common to Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology
and Computer Science & Systems Engineering) SET-2
1. What are the major disadvantages of file processing system?
2. (a) What is a foreign key constraint? Why are such constraints important? What is referential integrity?
(b) How many distinct tuples are in a relation instance with cardinality 22?
3. (a) What is functional dependency ? how it is useful in dbms?
(b) Normalize the relation R (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H) into the 3NF using the following set of FDs ABC, BCD, CDEABH, BHA, DEF is the decomposition dependency preserving?
4. (a) Explain about 4 Nf? Give one example?
(b) Explain about 5 Nf? Give one example?
5. (a) Explain the concept of transaction atomicity.
(b) How does the two phase locking protocol ensures Serialazability.
6. (a) Describe how fuzzy checkpoints are used in ARIES
(b) Develop an example showing how a single locking protocol could lead to a deadlock.
7. Explain about various physical storage media in detail.
8. Explain about the B+?tree file organization in detail