JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. Write short notes on:
(a) optical Metallurgical microscope
(b) Preparation of specimen for electron microscopy.
2. The lattice parameter of iron (BCC) is 2.87A0. Find the number of atoms /cm2 on
planes (100), (110) and (111).
3. (a) What are the three most common intermediate alloy phases? Explain briefly.
(b) Define solid solution? Explain the kinetics of a solid solution?
4. Draw a typical equilibrium diagram for two metals completely soluble in solid and
liquid states. Explain the cooling of any one alloy from the above system.
5. Discuss the following:
(a) Origin of coring and Homogenization
(b) Properties of solid-solution alloys.
6. What is Duralumin? Discuss the following for this alloy.
(a) Chemical composition
(b) Heat treatment procedure
(c) Mechanical properties
7. Compare and contrast the following:
(a) Age hardening and Tempering
(b) Lower Bainite and Tempered Martensite (tempered at 1000 C).
8. Write a short note on the following: