JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. Describe the following terms related to light microscope:
(a) Source of illumination
(b) Condenser lens
(c) Objective lens
(d) Projector lens.
2. Define packing factor? Calculate the atomic packing factor of simple cubic, BCC, and FCC structures with necessary sketches?
3. (a) Explain the effect of various alloying elements on steels?
(b) On what factors does the increase in strength due to the addition of solute element to the solvent depends? Explain.
4. (a) Define the critical size of a nucleus? Derive an equation for determining the critical size of a nucleus?
(b) Describe the effects of non-equilibrium cooling?
5. Define and discuss the following:
(c) Degree of freedom
(d) Invariant reaction.
6. Discuss in detail the classification of cast irons.
7. Write a short note on following:
(a) Indian Standard specifications of steels.
(b) AlSI / SAE specifications of steels.
8. (a) Discuss the role of carbon on TTT curves.
(b) Compare and contrast the hardening and Austempering processes.