JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) Explain etching procedure for microscopic examination of a specimen?
(b) Explain the properties of different abrasives used for metallurgical work?
2. (a) The atomic radius of copper (FCC) is 1.28A0. Calculate the number of copper atoms per square meter on the plane (110).
(b) Name and draw the crystal structures of the following metals:
3. (a) What are interstitial compounds? Explain their properties?
(b) What are electron compounds? Describe their properties and applications?
4. Define and explain the following terms:
(b) Critical size of the nucleus.
5. Draw a binary phase diagram showing the formation of an intermediate phase (?)
by a Peritectoid reaction. Label all the phases, areas, lines and write the various reactions involved in it.
6. Define and discuss the following terms.
(c) Transformed Ledeburite
(d) Eutectic Pearlite.
7. (a) Discuss the mechanism of formation of Bainite.
(b) What makes lower Bainite have more applications than upper Bainite?
8. Write a short note on the following:
(a) Incubation period
(b) Limitations of the TTT curves.