JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
ADVANCED DATA STRUCTURES AND ALGORITHMS
( Common to Information Technology and Computer Science & Systems
1. (a) What are the advantages of function prototypes in C++?
(b) What is the main advantage of passing arguments by reference? Explain with
2. (a) What does inheritance mean in C++? What are the benefits of inheritance?
(b) What are the different forms of inheritance? Give an example for each.
3. (a) Discuss the components for the space needed by a program.
(b) Explain about the additional factors that may influence the space complexity of a program.
4. (a) What is Open Addressing hashing?
(b) Explain Linear Probing.
(c) What are the disadvantages of Linear Probing?
5. What is the significance of priorities? How do you arrange elements in a priority queue? How do you implement a priority queue.
6. Compare different search tress.
7. (a) How many comparisons are made by Binary search for a successful search and
for an unsuccessful search. Explain.
(b) Consider the list of elements: -15, -6, 0, 7, 9, 23, 54, 82, 101, 112, 125, 131,
142, 151. Trace the Binary search algorithm ser4aching for elements 151, -14,
8. Dynamic programming often drastically reduces the amount of enumeration by
avoiding the enumeration of some decision sequences that can not possibly be optimal. Explain.