JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL SYSTEM COMPONENTS
(Electronics & Control Engineering)
1. (a) Draw the diagrams of conventional thrust ball bearing, thrust ball bearing
with spherical mounting and thrust ball bearing for both the directions of axial load and explain their features.
(b) Draw the diagram of a pivot bearing mounting for Radial Load and derive an
expression for its friction moment.
2. Explain the construction details, operation, features and applications of the following:
(a) Hydraulic pumps.
(b) Jet – pipe valve.
3. (a) Draw the schematic arrangement of a Potentiometric servo – recorder and explain its working principle.
(b) Explain working principle of XY Recorders and list out its applications.
4. (a) Explain about the Servomechanism, process control and regulators.
(b) Explain the method of control of water level in a cistern using a Hollow Ball with a diagram.
5. (a) List out the differences between the Field – effect transistor and the bipolar junction transistor.
(b) Draw the structure of a n – channel field – effect transistor and explain its operation.
(c) Draw the FET static characteristics curves.
(d) Draw the Practical structure of a FET and explain its operation.
6. (a) Draw the circuit diagram of an Inverting Amplifier using 741 op-amp explain and derive an expression for the closed loop gain.
(b) Draw and explain the circuit diagram of a Voltage Follower using 741 op-amp explain and derive an expression for the output voltage.
(c) Draw and explain the circuit diagram of a Summing Amplifier using 741 op-amp explain and derive the an expression for the output voltage.
7. (a) Explain about the Fabrication of LEDs with figures.
(b) Give the classification of Photodetectors and explain them.
8. (a) Explain the use of Beam Splitter cube in the Mach – Zehnder fibre optic Interferometer. Draw the block diagram of the above Interferometer sensor and explain its operation.
(b) Explain the use of polarizing Beam splitter in the Basic Potentiometric Sensor,Draw the block diagram of the above Potentiometric sensor, for the measurement of changes in linear birefringence and explain its operation.