JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL SYSTEM COMPONENTS
(Electronics & Control Engineering)
1. Explain about the following bearings with figures:
(a) Journal bearings.
(b) Bearings without clearance.
2. Explain about the construction details, principle of operation, features and applications of the following pneumatic components.
(a) Flapper Nozzle.
3. Explain about the construction details, working principle and applications of the following Electrical Components with diagrams.
(a) Magnetic Amplifiers.
(b) Pulse Transformers.
4. (a) Draw the block diagram of a Electromechanical servotype XT recorder for obtaining indication and simultaneous recording of a voltage against time, explain its working.
(b) Explain about the applications and advantages of stepper motors.
5. (a) Explain about the Transistor as an Amplifier.
(b) Explain the Four basic techniques used for the manufacture of transistors with
6. (a) Draw the circuit diagram of a comparator using 741 IC and explain its function with a graph.
(b) Draw the circuit diagram of a simple differentiator using a 741 IC and derive
the expression for its output voltage
(c) Define the following for a 741 IC:
i. Common – mode Rejection Ratio
ii. Input Bias current
iii. Input offset voltage.
7. (a) List out the Advantages and disadvantages of the optocouplers.
(b) Explain the Typical circuit Applications of the optocouplers with circuit diagrams.
8. (a) Draw the schematic diagram of the set – up for an OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometry) measurement. Explain the function of optical lenses and beam splitters in the above application.
(b) Draw the schematic diagram of the set – up for pulse dispersion measurement. Explain the use of optical lenses in this application.
(c) Draw the schematic illustration of an external – cavity semiconductor laser.
Explain the need of grating in the above application.