JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
METALLURGY AND MATERIAL SCIENCE
( Common to Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Production
Engineering and Automobile Engineering)
1. (a) Define grain and grain boundary? How does the presence of grain boundary affect the physical and mechanical properties of metals?
(b) What is the effect of heating rate and cooling rate of steel on grain growth and properties of steel?( Consider heating to Austenite zone and cooling from the same zone)?
2. (a) What are intermediate phases? Discuss various types of intermediate phases?
(b) What is the importance of ratio of radius of interstitial to solvent atom in interstitial compounds?
3. (a) Discuss the effect of alloying elements in Fe-Fe3C diagram?
(b) Discuss the effect of carbon on
i. Mechanical properties
ii. Grain size.
4. (a) Give the heat treatment and applications for the following steels
i. Austenitic stainless steels
ii. Martensitic stainless steels
iii. Ferritic stainless steels
iv. Precipitation hardening stainless steels.
(b) Explain each type of steel with chemical composition, microstructure, properties and applications?
5. (a) What is the difference between Iron-Cementite and Iron-graphite phase diagram?
(b) Draw T-T-T diagram for a eutectoid steel and explain the effect of cooling rate on the transformation products and hardness obtained.
6. (a) Differentiate between oxygen free high conductivity copper and electrolytic tough pitch copper. Indicate their relative conductivities.
(b) For any three important brasses, give composition, treatment, structure, properties and applications.
7. Discuss the effect of the following factors on mechanical behaviour of ceramic materials:
(a) grain size and shape
(b) Purity and
8. (a) What are laminates? Indicate their characteristics.
(b) Compare and contrast carbon matrices with glass matrices.