II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
THERMODYNAMICS AND KINETICS
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) State and explain Zeroth law of thermodynamics.
(b) Distinguish clearly between integral and excess thermodynamic properties.
(c) Explain the limitations of thermodynamics.
2. (a) State and explain HESS’s law of heat summation.
(b) Explain the conclusion that are drawn from Joule – Thomson experiment.
(c) Derive an expression for the work done in isothermal expansion of an ideal gas.
3. (a) Prove that for reaction liquid heating cooling ,gas dp.V gas= dt (Sgas − Sliquid)
(b) Explain Gibb’s definition of entropy in detail.
4. Derive the following
(a) Δ(G/T) Δ/T = −H/T2and explain.
(b) Name the three general methods used to evaluate the entropy of substances at a given temperature. Briefly explain the working principle.
5. (a) What do you know about thermo chemical data.
(b) Discuss the use of third law of thermodynamics in evolution ofΔ SO of a reaction.
6. (a) Explain the fugacity of an ideal gas and non ideal gas.
(b) Explain the variation of equilibrium constant with temperature.
7. (a) Derive clausius -clapeyron equation starting from fundamentals. State the condition under which approximation is valid.
(b) Prove that violation of the Kelvin- plank statement leads to violation of the clausius statement of the second law of thermodynamics.
8. (a) Suppose that the absolute rate of a certain process cannot be measured but the ratio of the rates r2/r1, at the two temperatures T2 and T1 can be measured. Find the activation energy of this process in terms of T2 , T1 , and r2/r1.
(b) Distinguish between the molecularity and order of a reaction.