JNTU Exam Papers – I B.Tech Regular Examinations– Engineering Chemistry – May/Jun 2008
1. (a) What is the principle of EDTA method? Explain the estimation of hardness of water by complexometric method.
(b) Mention the dis-advantages of using hard water for industrical purpose.
2. Write short notes on :
(a) Priming and Foaming
(b) Phosphate conditioning
(c) Caustic embrittlement.
3. (a) Explain the following factors influencing the rate of corrosion.
i. Nature of corrosion product
ii. Position in electrochemical series
(b) Differentiate between dry corrosion and wet corrosion.
4. (a) What are organic paints? Name their important constituents and their respective functions with an example?
(b) Mention the functions of pigment and vechicle in a paint.
5. (a) What are elastomers? Give the preparation, properties and uses of Buna S.
(b) Describe a method for moulding of thermoplastic resin.
6. (a) What are refractories? How important are the properties – refractoriness under load and thermal conductivity for industrial applications?
(b) Compare acidic and basic refractories with examples.
7. Discuss the important properties of lubricating oils which are useful for their evaluation.
8. (a) Discuss the relative merits and demerits of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels.
(b) Explain the significance of the following constituents present in coal.
i. Total carbon
iv. Sulphur and