1. (a) How are bio-chemical reactions different from chemical reactions?
(b) Briefly explain the steps in development of a complete bioprocess for commercial manufacture of a new recombinant DNA derived product.
2. By electrolysing a mixed brine, a mixture with the following percentage composition (by weight) is obtained at the cathode:
Cl2 = 67%; N2 = 28% and O2 = 5%. Using ideal gas law, calculate the following:
(a) Composition of the gas by volume.
(b) Density of the mixture in kg/m3 at 300C and 720 mm Hg.
(c) Specific gravity of the gas mixture (air = 1.0).
3. Briefly explain the following fluid properties
(a) Surface tension
(b) Capillary rise
(c) Specific weight
(e) Bulk modulus.
4. Define Viscosity. With a neat sketch explain the principle and working of plate and cone viscometer.
5. (a) Derive Hagen-Poiseuille equation. Explain the significance of the equation.
(b) Derive relations for Reynolds number and friction factor.
6. (a) A packed bed of catalyst consisting of spherical particles of 150μ m diameter is subjected to fluidization by using oil of density 900 Kg/m3. If the density of the particle be 2500 Kg/m3. Determine the mass flow rate of oil per unit area of bed to initiate fluidization. Porosity of bed =0.48, Dynamic viscosity of oil is 0.003 Pa.s. Assume flow condition to be laminar.
(b) Explain term “Terminal settling velocity” of a particle.
7. (a) Derive flow equation for venturimeter.
(b) Discuss about the importance and application of vinturi meter in bioprocess industries.
8. (a) Write shortnotes on
i. Water hammer, and
ii. Net positive suction head.
(b) Plot a graph to explain the characteristics of centrifugal pump?