JNTU Exam Papers
Applied Chemistry and Bio-Chemistry Ist Sem Nov 2008
1. (a) Define electrochemical cell. How a galvanic cell functions. Explain Daniel cell
with a neat diagram and chemical reactions involved in it.
(b) Resistance of a conductivity was found to be 200ohms and 250ohms. When
filled separately with 0.1N kcl solution and given 0.01N electrolyte solution respectively. Calculate the equivalent conductivity of the given electrolyte when the specific conductivity of 0.1N KCL solution is 0.0129mhos.cm?1.[8+8]
2. (a) What is the constitution of rubber? What is its elasticity due to?
(b) Describe the applications of plasticized PVC. [8+8]
3. (a) How is a lubricating oil obtained from the Crude Oil?
(b) Given an account of various types of manufacture of greases.
(c) Which type of lubricant can be used for the following:
i. Internal combustion engine
ii. Steam turbines
iii. Greases. [5+5+6]
4. (a) What do you understand by the term hardness’ of a sample of water? Define
the degree of hardness and discuss the various units of its Expression.
(b) Distinguish between carbonate hardness and non-carbonate hardness of a sample of water.
(c) Calculate the temporary and permanent hardness of water, in ppm units,
which analysis as follows:
Magnesium bicarbonate … 73 mg/L
Calcium bicarbonate … 162 mg/L
Calcium sulphate … 136 mg/L
Magnesium Chloride … 95 mg/L
Calcium Chloride … 111 mg/L
Sodium Chloride … 100 mg/L [5+5+6]
5. Explain the behaviour properties of
(a) Membrane lipids
(b) Membrane proteins with a neat diagram of plasma membrane fluid mosaic mode. [8+8]
6. (a) Define co-enzymic, apoenzyme and holoenzyme.
(b) Define inhibitory and activators
(c) Explain difference types of enzyme inhibitory and their differences in Km &Vmax values. [3+3+10]
7. Describe the formation and fate of acetyl co A. 
8. (a) What is the significance of glucose levels in blood?
(b) How is glucose level measured?
8 till now