JNTU Exam Papers
Organic Chemistry 1st Sem Nov 2008
1. (a) Explain the following applications of Inductive effect
i. Effect of bond lengths
ii. Dipole moment
iii. reactivity of alkyl halide
(b) Discuss the strength of carboxylic acid based upon Inductive effect. [9+7]
2. What is alkylation and acylation? Give at least three different examples of each.
3. (a) What happens when a mixture of butane and chlorine gases is heated in a
(b) Formulate and give mechanism for the reaction between 1-butene and NBS.
4. (a) Give an account of isomerism exhibited by lactic acid. What is meant by
(b) Describe a method for resolution of mixture of optically active acids. [8+8]
5. (a) How maleic acid and fumaric acid react with acetyl chloride? What inference
you get from this reaction?
(b) Write a note on E and Z configurations of geometrical isomens. [8+8]
6. (a) How is adipic acid prepared? Describe its polycondensation with hexam-
ethylenediamine to obtain nylon(6,6).
(b) Write an account of fibres. [8+8]
7. (a) How will you obtain the following heterocyclic compounds.(Mention any two
i. Pyrrole and
(b) In pyridine, electrophilic substitution reaction occurs chiefly at C-3. Why?
8. What are azo dyes? Write down the method of preparation of any two of the azo
dyes? How is the structure of azo dyes determined?