JNTU, B.Tech,I-Semester BASIC ELECTRONICS, November 2008
(Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering and Automobile Engineering)
1. (a) Draw and explain the energy band diagrams of conductor, semiconductor and
(b) Draw the V- I characteristics of an ideal diode. Distinguish between avalanche
and zener break down.
2. (a) Draw the output characteristics of junction transistor in C B configuration and indicate the active, cut off and saturation regions and explain the shape of the these curves.
(b) What are the different methods of triggering SCR. Explain one of these methods.
3. (a) What are the advantages and disadvantages of negative feed back in amplifiers.
(b) Explain the effects of Negative feedback in an amplifier on,
ii. Stability of transfer function.
4. (a) Compare and contrast the following timers
i. Thermal Timers
ii. Electromechanical Timers
iii. Mechanical Timers
iv. Electrochemical Timers
i. Bimetal strip timers
ii. Thermal expansion timers
5. (a) Explain the theory of induction heating by taking an example of cylindrical metal piece. Draw the Graph showing the variation of eddy current density with distance from the metal surface
(b) Discuss different types of losses observed in dielectric heating.
6. (a) Explain the working and construction of a CRT with neat sketch. Give the detailed description of all parts in a CRT.
(b) What is a time base? State the need for time base in CRO.
7. (a) What are the various general purpose registers? Explain.
(b) What are the functions of the accumulator and program counter?
(c) What are various flags in 8085 microprocessor?
8. (a) Define the terms:
iii. Settling time
iv. Conversion time. for D/A converters.
(b) What is the difference between A/D and D/A converter? Give applications of each.