JNTU exam papers B Tech 2nd Sem Examinations Instrumentation and control system, Apr/May 2008
JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations
INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL SYSTEM, Apr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Explain the following static characteristics:
ii. Dead zone
(b) Discuss propagation of uncertainties in measurement systems. [8+8]
2. (a) Classify inductive transducers.
(b) Explain the working of LVDT by means of neat sketches. [4+12]
3. (a) What devices are used for the measurement of high pressure and ranges they
cover? Describe with a neat sketch the principle of working of Bridgman pressure gauge.
(b) What are the advantages and limitations of Bourdon pressure gauge. [12+4]
4. (a) Describe the applications of flow measurements .What are the different factors
which influence the choice of method used for measurement of flow.
(b) Enumerate the principle of operation, construction details, advantages and limitations of Electro magnetic flow meters. [6+10]
5. (a) A centrifugal tachometer having range 25-300, 250-3000, and 2500-30000 rpm is to used to measure the speed of a shaft which is believed to be in the vicinity of 3000 rpm. What range setting should be tried and why?
(b) List any three mechanical tachometers used for measuring angular velocity and briefly explain them with suitable diagrams. [4+12]
6. (a) Explain the method of measuring force using strain gauges.
(b) What are the requirements of a strain gauge.
(c) Mention different technique available for the measurement of strain. [8+4+4]
7. (a) Explain how Spring balances can be used for measurement of force. Describe their working ,advantages and limitations.
(b) Define the Psychometric terms:
i. Relative humidity
ii. Dew point temperature
iii. Wet bulb temperature. [10+6]
8. (a) Describe a typical closed-loop control systems that can be used in order to control the following processes:
i. the speed of a steam engine,
ii. The pressure in a furnace,
(b) Explain the concept of control in engineering. List several control devices with which you are familiar and describe any two of them. [8+8]