JNTU Exam Papers
Physical Metallurgy 1 Sem Nov 2008
1. (a) Give an account on resolution and depth of field.
(b) Name the characteristics that can be measured using polarized light and discuss. [8+8]
2. (a) Define octahedral and tetrahedral sites and discuss with reference to BCC and
(b) Give an account on bonding and material property. [8+8]
3. (a) Give an account on Miller indices of planes with examples.
(b) Explain Miller indices of direction with examples. [8+8]
4. (a) Find out electron-to-atom ratio for the following compositions.
Ag3Al, Cu5Zn8, Cu9Al4, CuZn3 and Cu3Sn
(b) Discuss various types of solid solutions. [8+8]
5. (a) Explain why is the grain boundary irregular.
(b) Distinguish clearly between low angle, grain boundary and high angle grain
6. (a) Draw a typical Equilibrium diagram for 2 metals completely soluble both in
liquid & solid states. Label the important points, lines and areas in it.
(b) Explain cooling of any one alloy from the above system. [9+7]
7. (a) Classify copper alloys. Discuss the mechanism of increasing strength of copper
(b) Calculate the relative amounts of various phases that are present in 0.5% C
steel, just above & just below the peritectic temperature. [8+8]
8. (a) Differentiate between CCC & TTT diagrams.
(b) Explain about the bainitic transformation. [10+6]