JNTU, B.Tech,I-Semester,MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL SCIENCE, November ,2008
MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL SCIENCE, November 2008
1. (a) What is the function of a carburettor in an I.C. engine?
(b) Explain with the help of a neat sketch, the working of a two stroke petrol engine.
2. (a) What is the difference between air-cooling and air-conditioning?
(b) Explain in detail the important factors on which the comfort feeling of people in an air-conditioned space depends.
3. (a) What are the important equipment used in gas welding? Briefly discuss them.
(b) What are the differences between gas cutting and arc cutting? Which method is preferred and explain why?
4. (a) What are the principal lathe parts? Discuss briefly the function of each.
(b) Explain the following drilling operations:
i. Spot facing
5. (a) Discuss how the power shovels are mounted?
(b) What is the principal advantage of a Conveyor Installation?
1. Explain the characteristics of separately excited DC generator.
2. From the fundamental, derive the expression for the Torque.
3. Explain the phasor diagram of a transformer ‘on load’ with lagging pf .
4. Define the terms synchronous reactance and voltage regulation of an alternator.
Explain synchronous impedance method of determining regulation of an alternator.
5. (a) What are the different types of moving iron instruments?. Explain each of
(b) Compare moving coil type instruments and moving iron type instruments.