JNTU, BTech,I-Semester PHYSICAL METALLURGY, November 2008
JNTU, B.Tech,I-Semester PHYSICAL METALLURGY, November 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) Name various parts of scanning electron microscope and briefly explain each
one of them.
(b) Briefly discuss lens materials, manufacture and applications. [8+8]
2. (a) With a neat sketch, show the octahedral positions in FCC structure. Also
calculate the radius of the octahedral void in the FCC structure relative to the radius of the atom.
(b) What is stacking sequence? Write the stacking sequence for FCC and HCP
3. (a) What is allotropy? Discuss various allotropic forms of iron and their properties.
(b) Explain why increase of pressure may give allotropic transformation to close
packed structure? [8+8]
4. (a) What are the different types of solid solutions. Explain interstitial solid solution with suitable examples.
(b) Discuss in detail the necessity of alloying and explain the same with four
specific examples. [8+8]
5. Explain the following in detail:
(b) Critical nucleas and size.
(c) EMBRYO [5+6+5]
6. Discuss the experimental methods for constructing of equilibrium diagrams. Enu-
merate the advantages and disadvantages of these methods. 
7. (a) Classify copper alloys. Discuss the mechanism of increasing strength of copper
(b) Calculate the relative amounts of various phases that are present in 0.5% C
steel, just above & just below the peritectic temperature. [8+8]
8. (a) Differentiate between CCC & TTT diagrams.
(b) Explain about the bainitic transformation. [10+6]