, B.Tech,I-Semester LINEAR AND DIGITAL IC APPLICATION, November 2008
( Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Science & Systems Engineering) SET-2
1. (a) Define the terms : SVRR,CMRR, input bias current, input offset voltage,
Gain Bandwidth product 
(b) What are the differences between the inverting and non inverting terminals?
What do you mean by the term ‘’virtual ground‘’? 
2. (a) What is Gyrator circuit? Explain its operation with a neat circuit diagram 
(b) What is a sample and hold circuit? Why is it needed? With neat circuit diagram, describe the operation of an OP-AMP based sample and hold circuit.
3. (a) What feedback is preferred for oscillators and why? What is the effect of negative feedback? 
(b) Design an OP-AMP based relaxation oscillator and derive the frequency of oscillation. 
4. (a) Explain the functions of each of pins in 555 timer. 
(b) List the important features of 555 timer. 
5. (a) Draw the circuit of a PLL AM detector and explain its operation. 
(b) What is the major difference between digital and analog PLLs? 
6. (a) Explain the design procedure (with suitable circuit diagram of a fourth order
Butterworth low-pass filter). 
(b) A certain narrow band-pass filter has been designed to meet the following
specifications: fC=2kHz. Q=20, and Ap=10. What modifications are necessary in the filter circuit to change the center frequency ‘fc’ to 1kHz, keeping
the gain and band-width constant? 
7. (a) Draw the circuit of a Totem-pole TTL NAND gate? What is the purpose of
using a diode at the output stage? Explain its operation and verify the truth
(b) When do we use open-collector TTL gate? 
(c) Which is the fastest logic gate and why? 
8. (a) What is a sample-and-hold circuit? Draw the circuit diagram and explain its
(b) With reference to sample and hold circuit define the following terms: 
i. Aperture time
ii. Hold mode.
(c) Draw the circuit of Weighted Resistor DAC and derive expression for output
analog voltage Vo.