JNTU B Tech IV Year Syllabus for Mobile Computing
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY HYDERABAD
IV Year B.Tech. CSE -I Sem T P C
MOBILE COMPUTING (Elective – I)
UNIT – I
Introduction to Mobile Communications and Computing : Mobile Computing (MC) : Introduction to MC, novel applications, limitations, and architecture.
GSM : Mobile services, System architecture, Radio interface, Protocols, Localization and calling, Handover, Security, and New data services.
UNIT – II
(Wireless) Medium Access Control : Motivation for a specialized MAC (Hidden and exposed terminals, Near and far terminals), SDMA, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA.
UNIT – III
Mobile Network Layer : Mobile IP (Goals, assumptions, entities and terminology, IP packet delivery, agent advertisement and discovery, registration, tunneling and encapsulation, optimizations), Dynamic
Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
UNIT – IV
Mobile Transport Layer : Traditional TCP, Indirect TCP, Snooping TCP, Mobile TCP, Fast retransmit/fast recovery, Transmission /time-out freezing, Selective retransmission, Transaction oriented TCP.
UNIT – V
Database Issues : Hoarding techniques, caching invalidation mechanisms, client server computing with adaptation, power-aware and context-aware computing, transactional models, query processing, recovery, and quality of service issues.
UNIT – VI
Data Dissemination: Communications asymmetry, classification of new data delivery mechanisms, push-based mechanisms, pull-based mechanisms, hybrid mechanisms, selective tuning (indexing) techniques.
UNIT – VII
Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANETs): Overview, Properties of a MANET, spectrum of MANET applications, routing and various routing algorithms, security in MANETs.
UNIT – VIII
Protocols and Tools : Wireless Application Protocol-WAP. (Introduction, protocol architecture, and treatment of protocols of all layers), Bluetooth (User scenarios, physical layer, MAC layer, networking, security, link management) and J2ME.
TEXT BOOKS :
1. Jochen Schiller,“Mobile Communications”,Addison-Wesley. (Chapters 4,7,9,10,11),second edition, 2004.
2. Stojmenovic and Cacute, “Handbook of Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing”, Wiley, 2002, ISBN 0471419028. (Chapters 11, 15, 17, 26 and 27)
1. Reza Behravanfar, “Mobile Computing Principles: Designing and Developing Mobile Applications with UML and XML”, ISBN: 0521817331, Cambridge University Press, October 2004,
2. Adelstein, Frank, Gupta, Sandeep KS, Richard III, Golden , Schwiebert, Loren, “Fundamentals of Mobile and Pervasive Computing”, ISBN: 0071412379, McGraw-Hill Professional, 2005.
3. Hansmann, Merk, Nicklous, Stober, “Principles of Mobile Computing”, Springer, second edition, 2003.
4. Martyn Mallick, “Mobile and Wireless Design Essentials”, Wiley DreamTech, 2003.