JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations,
Instrumentation And Control System,
, Apr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) What standard inputs are considered for obtaining dynamic characteristics of
measurement systems? Plot the signals.
(b) Briefly explain the reasons for systematic errors in measurement systems. [8+8]
2. (a) Explain various methods used for reference junction compensation in thermocouples.
(b) Explain the construction and working of a thermometer to measure temperatures above 7000C. [8+8]
3. (a) Discuss various types of elastic pressure sensing elements used in electrical Transducers.
(b) Describe the application, advantages and limitations of elastic diaphragm gauges. [10+6]
4. (a) Explain how “a wire mounted normal to probe axis”, type hot wire anemometer is used in flow measurement. Enumerate the principle of operation and its limitations.
(b) List out the important of calibration of flow measuring instruments. [12+4]
5. (a) What is meant by Tachometer?
(b) With neat sketch explain the working principles of Revolution counter and
(c) List out the advantages of Hand speed indicator over centrifugal speed indicator. [2+10+4]
6. (a) Describe the tension measurement using strain gauge with neat diagram.
(b) Explain the principles operation of electrical resistance strain gauges and their merits and demerits. [8+8]
7. (a) Define the terms ‘scales’ and ‘balances’. Discuss the constriction and working of an equal arm balance.
(b) Define the Psychometric terms.
i. Relative humidity
ii. Dry bulb temperature
iii. Wet bulb temperature [10+6]
8. (a) Briefly explain the different types of control systems.
(b) Describe the working of one automatic control system used in practice. Outline
functional elements of that system. [6+10]