JNTU B Tech ii Semester Examinations, Polymeric Materials, Apr/May 2008
JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations,
, Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) What are thermosetting materials? Explain their ingredients and its manufacture.
(b) Discuss the various applications of thermosetting materials. [10+6]
2. (a) What is sedimentation? How is sedimentation coefficient determined?
(b) Give an account of the principles and technique involved in the end-group analysis. [8+8]
3. (a) What is extrusion moulding? List out the components produced by this process.
(b) Explain the zones prevailed in the extrusion machine during its operation. [6+10]
4. (a) What are photo degradients? Explain its role in polymers.
(b) Explain about colorants in polymeric technology. [10+6]
5. (a) Explain the chemical & mechanical properties of LDPE & HDPE.
(b) Discuss the important applications of LDPE & HDPE.
(c) What are the various raw materials used for the production of LDPE & HDPE?
Explain about them. [6+5+5]
6. (a) What are the major advantages and disadvantages of thermosetting plastics.
(b) What are the usual processes by which thermosetting plastics are process? Explain briefly their working principle. [8+8]
7. (a) What are polyesters? Distinguish between unsaturated and saturated polyesters.
(b) What is PETP? How is it manufactured? What are the raw materials used?
Give the properties and uses of PETP. [8+8]
8. (a) What type of rubber would you recommended for the following? Why? Give the necessary reasons.
i. For a fluxible connection to a steam line
ii. As a gasket for a pipe containing a cholorination solvent.
(b) Silicones are generally non-cryatalline in terms of molecular architecture. Explain.
(c) Explain what makes it possible, to cross link natural rubber with sulphur. [8+4+4]