JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, NON FERROUS EXTRACTIVE METALLURGY, Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. Define and explain the term ore. Name any five important ores of copper. Also give their chemical formulae. What are the places in India where copper ore deposits are located? Explain the important physical and mechanical properties of copper. 
2. (a) What are the advantages and limitations of vertical retort process in comparission with horizantal retort process of Zinc extraction.
(b) Explain the scheme of operations in the hydrometallurigical extraction of Zinc.
(c) Explain various smelting reactions in imperial smelting process. [7+6+3]
3. (a) Explain the typical feactures of lead blast furnace and also explain the smelting
operation for lead in a blast furnace.
(b) What is electroststic separator? Explain its working principle. Where does it find application in lead metal extraction? Explain. [11+5]
4. (a) With the help of a neat sketch, describe the Half-Heriult process for the extraction of aluminium. Give the electrolytic cell data and explain the various details.
(b) What are the properties and applications of aluminium? [12+4]
5. (a) Why Mg CO3 cannot be used for the Pidgeon process?
(b) Can Si alone be used as a reducing agent in Pidgeon process? Justify your answer.
(c) Discuss the significance of MgCO3 purity in the production of Mg. [4+5+7]
6. (a) What are the uses of titanium and titanium dioxide? What are the sources of Titanium?
(b) Write down a flow sheet for the extraction of Ti. [8+8]
7. (a) What are the primary and secondary sources of uranium?
(b) Explain the chemistry of alkali leaching of uranium concentrates.
(c) What are the advantages of alkali leaching over acid leaching? [4+6+6]
8. (a) Elaborate the treatment of nickeliferrous pyrrohotite ores with proper chemical reactions and flow sheet.
(b) Explain in detail, the anolyte purification methods used during the nickel matte refining. [8+8]