JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, METAL FORMING, Aug/Sep 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. Write short notes on the following:
(a) anlastic behaviour
(c) yield criteria
(d) ultimate tensile strength. [4×4]
2. (a) Explain the effects of % cold work on the formability of the material.
(b) Explain the effects of the following on the recry stallization temperature.
i) additiion of alloying elements
ii) Purity of metals
ii) Grain size. [6+10]
3. Distingnish between hot working and coldworking by taking machanical and metallurgical properties of metals into consideration. 
4. (a) Name the various methods by which sheet metal blanks can be cut from a
large sheet. Explain them.
(b) What is a forming-limit diagram. What are its advantages and disadvantages.
What are the features of forming-limit diagram. [8+8]
5. (a) Compare forging hammers with presses and mention the characteristics of a
(b) A right circular cylindrical steel with flow of its stress of 5 Kg/mm2, 75mm
height and 25mm diameter has to be upset to half height between flat dies.
What is the maximum pressure required for upsetting, if coefficient of friction is 0.4.
(c) What is PM forging? What are its advantages. [7+5+4]
6. (a) Explain the following:
i. Roll forming
ii. Tandum mill
iii. Angle of nip
iv. No slip angle
v. Redundant work
(b) What is the effect of presence of front and back tensions in rolling load?
7. (a) Explain briefly the classification of extrusion processes.
(b) Discuss in detail the Hot extrusion process.
(c) Describe in brief the deformation in extrusion. [5+7+4]
8. (a) Draw the cross section of a drawing die and explain the various parts in it.
(b) Explain the follwoing
i. Tube sinking