JNTU B Tech ii Semester Examinations, Instrumentation And Control System, Apr/May 2008
JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations,
Instrumentation And Control System
M, Apr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. Explain the dynamic response characteristics of first order instruments to step, ramp and sinusoidal inputs. 
2. (a) List electrical transducers for measurement of linear and angular displacement.
(b) Explain by means of neat sketches how wire wound and carbon film potentiometers can be used for measurement if linear and angular displacement. [4+12]
3. (a) Describe the construction and working of diaphragms. Explain how capsules are made from diaphragms .List the materials used for making diaphragms and give the ranges of pressure over which they can be used .
(b) A McLeod gauge having V = 100cm3 and a capillary diameter of 1 mm is used to measure the gas pressure. What will be the pressure of gas corresponding to a capillary reading of 3cm? [10+6]
4. (a) Explain the principle of operation of a Rotameter. What are its limitations?
(b) Discuss the types of flow meters. [8+8]
5. (a) What is meant by Tachometer?
(b) With neat sketch explain the working principles of Revolution counter and Tachoscope tachometers.
(c) List out the advantages of Hand speed indicator over centrifugal speed indicator. [2+10+4]
6. (a) Explain the method of measuring force using strain gauges.
(b) What are the requirements of a strain gauge.
(c) Mention different technique available for the measurement of strain. [8+4+4]
7. (a) With neat sketch, explain the working principle of Prony brake for estimating power.
(b) What are the hygroscopic materials? Explain the working of any one of the absorption hygrometers. [8+8]
8. (a) Explain with neat block diagram of closed loop positioned system.
(b) Describe with neat sketch the closed loop speed control system. [6+10]