JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, COMPUTER ORGANIZATION, Apr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Explain the terms compiler, linker, assembler, loader and describe how a C
program or any other high level language program is executed in a system. Indicate entire process with a figure.
(b) Distinguish between high level and low level languages?. What are the requirements for a good programming language? 
2. Design a circuit to increment, decrement, complement and clear a 4 bit register using RS flip-flops. Explain the control logic. 
3. (a) How do we reduce number of microinstructions. What are micro-subroutines? 
(b) Explain nanoinstructions and nanometry. Why do we need them? 
4. (a) How many bits are needed to store the result addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of two n-bit unsigned numbers. Prove. 
(b) What is overflow and underflow? What is the reason? If the computer is considered as infinite system do we still have these problems. 
5. (a) What is Locality of Reference? Explain 
(b) What is the need of Replacement Algorithms for a Cache Memory? Explain any two Cache Replacement Strategies. 
6. (a) What is Direct Memory Access? Explain the working of DMA.
(b) What are the different kinds of DMA transfers? Explain.
(c) What are the advantages of using DMA transfers? [8+4+4]
7. (a) What is meant by instruction pipeline? Explain four segment Instruction Pipeline.
(b) Give the timing diagram of instruction pipeline. [8+8]
8. (a) Differentiate bus based multiprocessors and switched multiprocessors.
(b) Explain the working of 8 x 8 Omega Switching network. [8+8]