JNTU, B.Tech I Semester,BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION,November,2008
JNTU, B.Tech I Semester,
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION,November 2008
1. (a) What are different properties and uses of bitumen.
(b) Discuss different forms of bitumen.
2. (a) Explain the following:
i. Clamp and kiln.
ii. Bullnose brick and cownose brick.
(b) Explain briefly water absorption test and warpage tests for tiles.
3. What is compressive strength of concrete.Explain various Methods of determining it.
4. (a) Make a list of chief varieties of Indian trees. Explain about bamboo, rosewood and teak.
(b) Explain defects in timber due to insects.
5. (a) What is a raft foundation ? When and where is it preferred to other shallow
foundations. Explain with a neat sketch.
(b) What are floating foundations? Where are they useful? How does they differ
from other foundations.
6. (a) Explain the following terms with neat sketches
iv. through stones.
(b) Explain any four tools used in stone masonry.
7. What are single roofs? Explain with the help of neat sketches the various types of
8. (a) Mention the general rules to be observed to avoid the failure of formwork?
(b) What are the advantages of steel formwork over timber formwork?