JNTU, B.Tech I Semester,
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION,November 2008
1. (a) Write a brief note on deterioration of stones.
(b) Explain wedging and blasting methods of stone Quarrying.
2. (a) Write comparison between Bull’s trench kiln and Hoffman’s kiln.
(b) Write briefly about the moulding operation in bricks.
3. (a) What are the various ingredients of cement concrete. Explain their importance.
(b) What is setting of cement. How initial and final setting of cement is determined
in the laboratory?
4. (a) Explain the advantages of timber construction.
(b) Explain what is meant by felling of trees? Describe important points to be remembered in connection with felling of trees.
5. (a) What is a raft foundation ? When and where is it preferred to other shallow foundations. Explain with a neat sketch.
(b) What are floating foundations? Where are they useful? How does they differ
from other foundations.
6. (a) What are the merits and demerits of English bond over Flemish bond?
(b) State the reasons for cracks in brick masonry.
7. (a) Define a lintel and mention the materials which are commonly used to construct it.
(b) Describe briefly the construction of R.CC lintel.
8. Differentiate between the following:-
(a) Lime mortar and cement mortar.
(b) Beaded pointing & flush pointing.
(c) Flaking and peeling.
(d) Gugal and hump.