JNTU Exam Papers II B.Tech. I Semester Regular Examinations, PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY November -2008
II B.Tech. I Semester Regular Examinations, November -2008
Common to Mechanical Engineering,Mechatronics and Automobile Engineering
1. (a) Write the basic steps of the casting process.
(b) Sketch a common gating system. Label it and explain the function of its various elements.
(c) Briefly explain the procedure to be followed for making a sand mould.
2. (a) Describe the need of investment casting. Explain in detail the investment casting process.
(b) Write the advantages, limitations and applications of investment casting. Sketch and explain the process of investment casting.
3. (a) Write the advantages and drawbacks of ‘welding processes.
(b) Explain various methods available for oxy-acetylene gas cutting in industrial practice.
4. (a) What are the differences between TIG and MIG welding processes?
(b) Explain destructive and nondestructive testing of welds.
5. (a) Explain the phenomenon of recovery, recrystallisation and grain growth.
(b) Compare the properties of metals while they undergo recovery, recrystallisation and grain growth.
6. (a) Differentiate between blanking and piercing operations. How do you provide shear in blanking and piercing operations.
(b) Sketch and explain wire drawing and tube drawing. Derive an expression for force in wire drawing.
7. (a) Differentiate between forward and backward extrustion processes. What is the effect of friction in each of these processes?
(b) Sketch and explain forging hammers and presses. What are the advantages of press forging over drop forging?
8. (a) Discuss on the processing of plastics and their applications.
(b) Sketch and explain injection moulding process, equipment and its applications.