Highway and Traffic Engineering Syllabus NIT Jalandhar VI SEM
CE 306 Highway and Traffic Engineering [3 0 0 3]
Introduction: Importance and role of transportation systems; different modes of transportation,
historical development of road construction, Highway Economics.
Highway Planning & Project Preparation: Planning surveys, Highway alignment, Highway
Location surveys, soil and material surveys, Highway Projects: drawing and report.
Highway Geometric Design: cross-sectional elements, camber, sight distance-definition
analysis of stopping sight and passing sight distances, passing zones. Design of horizontal
alignment-super elevation. Extra widening on curves, transition curves. Design of vertical
alignment, gradients, types of vertical curves & their design
Highway materials and construction: Desirable properties of soil, Road aggregates, bitumen,
cement & cement concrete as highway materials. Various types of roads & their constructionearth
roads, gravel roads, W.B.M., bituminous, surface treatment, penetration macadam, premix
carpet, bituminous concrete, sheet asphalt and quality control during construction.
Pavement Design: Design of flexible and rigid Pavements.
Elementary Traffic Engineering-Traffic Engineering studies (speed, volume, O & D, parking and
accident studies), traffic signs, traffic signals, road markings, road intersection, highway lighting.
1. Rao G V “Principles of Transportation and Highway Engineering” Tata McGraw-
Hill,New Delhi, 1996
2. Khanna S K and Justo C E G “Highway Engineering”, Nem Chand and brothers;
3. Bhanot K L Highway Engineering, S. Chand & Company (P) Ltd. New Delhi, 1990
4. Ahuja T D “Highway Engineering” Standard Book House Delhi, 1995
5. Kamla A “Transportation Engineering” Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1993.