GTU Syllabus Material Science and Metallurgy
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 131904
Subject Name MATERIAL SCIENCE & METALLURGY
Sr.No Course content
1. Introduction to Material Science and Metallurgy: Classification of
Engineering Materials, Engineering requirements of materials, Properties of
engineering materials, Criteria for selection of materials for engineering
2. Metallic Materials: Types, properties and applications, Structure of Metals,
Fracture, Macro-examination, Spark Test, Sculptures Print, Macro-etching,
Microscopic examinations, Magnetic Testing, Chemical analysis of steel
and iron for Carbon, Sulphur & Phosphorous.
3. Iron-Carbon diagram, plain carbon steels, Allotropy of iron.
4. Crystallization of metals, Solidification of an alloy, solid solution types.
Thermal Equilibrium diagrams of binary alloys. Effects of Structure on
5. Cast Iron: Grades, Alloy Cast Iron, Malleable Iron, S. G. Iron.
6. Wrought Iron: Properties and uses.
7. Steel: Classification of Steels, Properties and uses, Effects of alloying
8. Heat Treatment of Steels: Study of Heat-Treatment processes such as
Normalizing, Annealing, spheroidizing, hardening, tempering,
austempering, martempering, case-hardening, nitriding, cyaniding,
induction hardening, flame-hardening, ageing. Application of above
processes in mechanical components such as gears, bearing, turbine
blades, crankshafts, pistons, cutting tool materials also.
9. Non-ferrous alloys: alloys of copper, aluminium, magnesium titanium. Other
alloys of lead, tin, zinc, nickel, manganese, white metals and bearing alloys.
10. Powder Metallurgy: Application and advantages, Production of powder,
Compacting, Sintering, Equipment and process capability.
11. Corrosion of metals: meaning, causes and nature. Measures of counteracting
corrosion, Metal coatings, Organic coatings, Lining and cladding,
Use of Corrosion inhibitors, Cathodic protection against corrosion.
12. Non-destructive testing such as Radiography Testing, Dye Penetration
Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing, Ultrasonic Testing, and Jominy endquench
1. Engineering Metallurgy and material science by S. P. Nayak.
2. Materials and Metallurgy by G. B. S. Narang and K. Manchanedy
3. Elements of Metallurgy by Dr. Swaroop and Dr. Saxena.
4. Material science and manufacturing processs by Dharmendrakumar and S. K. Jain.
5. Physical Metallurgy by Robert Read
6. Metallurgy for engineers by V. Raghvan
7. Metallurgy for engineers by Bava.
8. Physical metallurgy by Rollason.
9. Physical metallurgy by Hyegins.
10. Tool steel by Rabert.
11. Material Science by Annver.
12. Material Science by O.P. Khanna.