GTU Syllabus Kinematics and Dynamics of Machines
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 4
Subject Code 142001
Subject Name KINEMATICS AND DYNAMICS OF MACHINES
Sr.No Course content
1. SIMPLE MECHANISM:
Link, Kinematic chains and their classification, mechanism and machine,
Inversions – four-bar chain and single slider crank chain, various types of
quick return motions. Pantograph, straight line motion mechanisms.
2. MOTION ANALYSIS:
Angular and linear velocities in link mechanism, velocity and acceleration
diagram for slider – crank chain and four-bar chain mechanism including
coriolis component of acceleration. Analytical methods of Kinematic
3. FLEXIBLE POWER TRANSMISSION SYSTEM, GEOMETRICAL
Analysis of forces and power transmission. Effects of centrifugal force,
creep and initial tension.
Classification of gears, types of motion, law of gear tooth action, involute
and cycloidal tooth profile – interference of gears – minimum number of teeth
to avoid interference, contact ratio. Helical, spiral, worm and bevel gears,
Introduction to gear train and types of trains.
Angular Velocity, Angular acceleration, Gyroscopic Torque, gyroscopic
effect on naval ships,stability of automobile,stability of two wheel and four
Types of cams and followers. Drawing a cam profiles for a given
displacement – time diagram, analysis of cam profiles with specified
7. VIBRATIONS IN MECHANICAL SYSTEMS:
Introduction, Basic features of vibration systems – single degree of freedom
systems and vibration isolation.
Forces due to revolving masses. Balancing of revolving masses in one plane and in different planes.
1. S.S.Rattan Theory of Machines Tata Mc Graw Hill
2. Jagdish Lal Theory of Machines Metropolitan Book Co.
3. Amitabha Ghosh & Mallik A. K. Theory of Mechanisms and Machines East West Press
4. Rao J. S. and Dukkipati R. V. Mechanism & Machine Theory New Age International Pub.
5. Charles E. Wilson & J.Peter Sadler Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery Pearson Education publications