GTU Syllabus Ecology and Remote Sensing
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 131303
Subject Name Ecology & Remote Sensing
Sr.No Course content
1. Limiting factors and Tolerance Levels : Shalfords and Liebigs laws,
Climagraphs, Tolerance levels and pollution, Indicator organisms, Alien
2. Structure and Dynamics of Single Spices Population and Population
Growth: Population Sizes and estimates, Spatial distribution, Population
and Patterns of population growth: Malthusian growth and Logistic growth.
3. Social Behavior and Population Dynamics: Territorialism and Dominance
Hierarchies, Social behavior in population regulation.
4. Inter specific population like: Communalism, Mutualism, Predication,
Parasitism, Competition, Amensalism and antibiosis.
(B) Remote Sensing
Sr.No Course content
1. Principles of remote sensing; in situ sensing oaf environment; economic
benefits; geographical uses; physical basis; radiation characteristics of
natural phenomena, Types of photograph and size of photograph.
2. Sensors for monitoring; sensors within and outside visible wave lengths;
absorptions spectrometers; sensor plat form; packages and data
distribution; land set systems; space lab; space shutlle; relationship.
3. Collection, analysis and interpretation of data; collecting in situ data;
enhancement and interchangeability of data; manual data analysis; and
interpretation, numerical data processing and analysis.
4. Remote Sensing Applications: Weather analysis; forecasting; global
climatology; water in the environment soil and land form; rocks and
minerals resources; national parks and wild life study; crops and land use;
built in environment; hazards and catastrophes.
5. Problems and prospects; limitations of costs; security restriction handling;
large quantity of data; interface between technologist and user and future
development. Ground – truth data and Global Positioning System.
6. GIS Application.
7. Functions and Advantages of GIS.
1. Principles of Ecology – by Chrles Southwick
2. Principles of Remote Sensing – by Lillyson
3. Remote Sensing and GIS – by Bhatia
4. Concepts of Modern Ecology by S.C. Tiwari
5. Text book of Ecology by Deeksha Dava & S.S. Katewa