GTU Syllabus-BE-3rd Sem-Manufacturing Engineering-Manufacturing and Assembly Drawing
Gujarat Technological University
Manufacturing and Assembly Drawing Syllabus
B. E. SEMESTER: III
Subject Name: Manufacturing and Assembly Drawing
Subject Code: 133405
1. Technical Drawing Standard
Indian Standard Code of practice for Engineering Drawing: General principles of
presentation, conventional representation of dimensioning and sectioning,
conventional representation of threaded parts, gears, springs and common features.
Abbreviations and symbols used in technical drawings. Symbols and method of
indication on the drawing for surface finish, welding and riveted joints.
2. Fits And Tolerances
Tolerance types and representation on the drawing – Fits types and selection for
different applications – Basic hole systems – Basic shaft systems – Allowances.
Geometric tolerances – Form and positional. Datum and datum features symbols
used to represent geometric tolerances.
3. Assembly Drawing Of Joints, Coupling And Bearings
Preparation of drawing for keys and keyways, cotter joints, pin joints and screwed
fasteners. Preparation of drawing for Couplings – Flange coupling and universal
coupling, Bearings: Plummer block – Foot step bearing. Representation of tolerances
4. Production Drawing
Preparation of production drawing for simple components, interpretation of
5. Assembly Drawing Of Machine Elements
Preparation of assembled views given parts details – Lathe tail stock – Lathe chuck –
Connecting rod – Screw jack, machine vice, Square Turret tool holder for Lathe, tool
head of shaper and stop valve. Representation of tolerances in drawing.
Injection moulding die assembly for plastic products.
Examination must include an assembly drawing of machine elements.
1. Gopalakrishnan, K.R., Machine Drawing, Subash Publishers, Bangalore, 2000
2. Narayana, K.L., Kanniah, P. and Venkata Reddy, K., Production Drawing, New Age
International, New Delhi, 2002
1. Sidheswar Kannaiah, N., Sastry, P.V.V.V., Machine Drawing, Tata McGraw Hill, New
2. Bhatt, N. D., Machine Drawing, Charotar publishing house, Anand, 1999
3. Junnarkar, N. D., Machine Drawing, First Indian print, Pearson Education (Singapore)
Pvt. Ltd., 2005
4. P.S.G. Design Data Book, Coimbatore, 2001
5. Revised IS codes: 10711, 10712, 10713, 10714, 9609, 1165, 10715, 10716, 10717,
11663, 11668, 10968, 11669, 8043, 8000