GTU previous years question papers – BE I-II SEM -Chemistry -June-July 2011
GTU previous years question papers
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Sem-I/II Examination June-July 2011
Subject code: 110001
Subject Name: Chemistry
- Attempt all questions.
- Make suitable assumptions wherever necessary.
- Figures to the right indicate full marks.
Q.1 Fill in the Blanks
1. __________ can be used as a coagulant during the purification of
2. potable water by municipalities.
3. The purest form of commercial iron is iron.
4. Chemically the rusting of an iron can be noted as
5. Graphite and Molybdenum are used as a__________
6. ——was the inventor of Portland cement.
7. Polymerization of unsaturated dienes or trienes can be done better with the help of catalyst.
__________ gas was responsible for the deadly destruction of lives on 3rd December 1984 at Bhopal.
(b) Write a note on.
(i) Hot lime soda process for water treatment.
(ii) Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
Q.2 Differentiate Renewable and Non-renewable source of energy. Discuss in detail the importance of solar energy.
(b) Write a note on.
(i) Natural & Artificial abrasive.
(ii) Acid- base Conductometric titrations.
Q.2 Write a short note on.
Effects of over use of natural resources. pH & its measurement.
Q.3 (a) What is Brackish water? Discuss electrodialysis and reverse osmosis method to desalinate the brackish water.
1. Biofuel, the formation of Biogas.
2. The importance of organic coatings with examples.
Q.3 (a) Write the essential requirement of water consumed for drinking purpose 07 along with a municipal process to avail the same.
- 1. Manufacturing of Acetic acid by fermentation.
- 2. Mechanism of Lubrications.
Q.4 (a) Discuss different analysis carried out to assess the quality of coal. Also calculate the gross and net calorific values of coal possessing the following composition: Carbon: 85%, Hydrogen: 8%, Sulphur: 1%, Nitrogen: 2%, Ash: 4%, Latent heat of steam: 587 cal/g.
|1.||Melt and Wet spinning|
|2.||Important properties of refractories.|
|Q.4||(a)||Give the mechanism of dry and wet corrosion.|
|1.||Acid rain and Green house effect.|
|2.||Alloys of steel.|
What are plastics? Write different constituents utilize in moulding the
|plastics. Explain Compression and Injection moulding.|
|1.||Physical properties of Metals.|
|2.||Vulcanization of rubber.|
|Q.5||(a)||Discuss dry and wet process for manufacturing of Portland cement.|
|1.||Pilling Bedworth rule and composition of petrol and kerosene.|
|2.||Concrete and RCC.|