GTU Organic Chemistry Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 132805
Subject Name Organic Chemistry
Sr.No Course contents
1. Structure & Properties : Basic concepts – Atomic orbitals, covalent bond,
Polarity of bonds, Solubility – non ionic solutes, protic & aprotic solvents.
Application of electronic theory of valency : Factor which affect reaction –
electromeric effects, Inductives, Mesomeries effect, Hemolytic & Heterolutic
fission – Types of organic reaction, some important mechanisms like
Electrophilic substitution and addition, Nucleophilic Addition & Substitution
2. Organic Chemistry based on functional groups.
C – X bonded compounds – Alkyl halides & arylhalides
C – O bonded compounds – Alcohols & Phenols
C = O bonded compounds – Aldehydes, Ketones, Esters, Carboxylic Acids,
C – N bonded compounds
3. Preparation & important reaction of polynuclear hydrocarbons with specific
reference to Naphthalene & Anthracene. Heterocyclic compounds – Five &
Six membering compounds, Aromaticity & Hiickel Rule preparation
properties & reactions of pyrrole, furan, thiophene, Pyridine.
4. Stereo Chemistry : Stereo isomerism, Optical activity, Plane Polarised light,
Specific rotation, Polarimeter, Enantiomerism, Chirality, Optical resolution.
Principles of laboratory methods including introduction to process of
separation, purification & identification.
1. A Text Book Of Organic Chemistry – L. Soni
2. Advanced Organic Chemistry – Fischer & Fischer
3. Advanced Organic Chemistry – Robert & Cassero
4. Organic Chemistry, Vol. I & II ELBS & Longmans, Green – L. Finar