GTU Life Science I Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 130301
Subject Name Life Science-1
Sr.No Course contents
1. Elements of human anatomy: Terms related to Anatomy,
Anatomical plane, Anatomical position
2. Cell and Tissues: Physical Structure of the Cell ,Types of
tissue, its location, properties & function
3. Skeletal muscle system: Structure & formation of Bone, Young
bone ,Adult bone, Types of the bone ,Blood supply to the
bone ,applied anatomy of the bone, Joints & its types, Applied
anatomy of joints, Muscle & its types, Muscle fasciculi, Applied
anatomy of muscle.
4. Thorax & Respiratory System: Thoracic cavity diaphragm,
sternum, rib & rib cage, vertebral column, Vertebra, structure
of respiratory tract, pleura, and lungs.
5. Cardiovascular System: Structure of Heart, Heart valves,
Arteries, Veins, blood supply of heart coronary circulation.
1. General physiology: Functional System of the cell & its organelle,
Homeostasis ,Endocytosis, Exocytosis
2. Membrane physiology, Nerve & Muscle: Transport of Ions and
Molecules through the cell membrane; Membrane Potentials and
Action Potentials; Inhibition of Excitability, Recording Membrane
potentials and Action potentials, skeletal muscle, Sarcomere, EMG,
Neuron, neuromuscular transmission.
3. Body Fluid: Blood and its composition and function. Various Cells
and their structures. Numbers Cell counting, Hemoglobin and its
estimation, Anemia, Hemostatis, , Blood Group.
4. Respiratory system: Mechanism Of Respiration, Pulmonary
Ventilation, Pulmonary Volumes and Capacities. Transport of Gases,
Pulmonary function testing. Artificial Respiration, hypoxia
5. The Heart: Heart muscle, heart as a pump, Heart sound & blood
pressure, cardiac cycle, Cardiac output. Conduction system of the
heart ,ECG, Arrhythmia,
6. Special Senses:
a) Vision: structure of Eye, optic nerve, Mechanism of
accommodation, Visual acuity, Ophthalmoscope, Colour
b) Hearing: structure of ear, Tympanic membrane, cochlea,
Hearing mechanics and abnormality, Deafness, Audiometry.
c) Nose: sense of smell
d) Tongue: sense of taste
1. Anatomy and physiology in health and illness By- Ross and Wilson
2. Essential of medical physiology: By- Indu khurana
3. General Anatomy :By- B.D. Chaurasia