GTU Cell Biology Syllabus
GTU Cell Biology Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 130402
Subject Name CELL BIOLOGY
Sr.No Course content
1. UNIT I Introduction to cell
Organization of Cell: Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic cells
Introduction to akaryotic, prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Structure of
prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Origin and evolution of cell (from
molecules to first cell, from prokaryotes to eukaryotes, from single cells to
multicellular organisms. Comparison of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells on
structural, functional and evolutionary basis.
2. UNIT II Cell Biology of Prokaryotic cells (Part I)
Cell wall : types, component and development, Cell membrane:
components and development, Cytoplasm/Cytosol : components, nature
and importance, Chromosomes nature of existence and complexities,
Plasmid nature of existence and stability
3. UNIT III Cell Biology of Prokaryotic cells (Part II)
Granules types and causes of generation
Vacuoles types and causes of generation
Mesosomes development and importance
Cilia, Flagella And Pili: structure, chemical composition, ultra structure
physiology and ciliary movement
Ribosomes types, structure chemical composition
Gas Vesicles : Structure and function
Endospores: Formation and germination
4. UNIT IV Cell Biology of Eukaryotic Cells (Part I)
Cell wall evolution, structure, development types and role
Cell membrane evolution, structure, chemical composition, development,
role and function
Cytoplasm/Cytosol : physical nature, chemical organization, types of
compounds – inorganic and organic Nucleus, nuclear envelope , nuclear
pore, nucleoplasm, nucleolus, genetic material, nuclear proteins their
development, history, evolution and role in life.
Chromosome : morphology, chemical composition, organization of
Eukaryotic chromosome (solenoid model)
5. UNIT V Cell Biology of Eukaryotic Cells (Part II)
Mitochondria evolution, structure, development, component and
Plastids: evolution, types, Chloroplast: structure, development, component
and control, Light Reaction, Dark Reaction
Endoplasmic reticulum evolution, structure, types, role and function.
Golgi – Evolution, structure, chemical composition,role and function.
Lysosomes evolution, structure, chemical composition, types (primary
lysosomes, heterophagosomes, autophagosomes, residual bodies)
lysosomes in plants (Vacuoles, spherosomes, aleurone grain), role and
Cytoskeleton: Nature, Intermediate filaments, Microtubules, Actin
filaments, Actin binding proteins
Microbodies : Peroxisomes : History, structure, types,biogenesis,
Microbodies : Glyoxysomes : Functions
Ribosomes : History, occurrence, types, structure, chemical composition,
dissociation and reconstitution, biogenesis, function
Centrioles and basal bodies: Occurrence, structure, chemical
composition, origin and function.
CELL BIOLOGY PRACTICALS
1. Introduction to laboratory equipments.
A) Cleaning and sterilization of glasswares.
B)Disposal of laboratory wastes and cultures.
2. Basic microbe handling techniques.
3. Introduction to microbial staining.
4. Microscopic observation of various morphological forms of bacteria by simple
5. Microscopic observation of various morphological forms of bacteria by
6. Microscopic observation of various morphological forms of bacteria by
differential staining (Gram’s technique).
7. To perform spirochete staining.
8. To perform cell wall staining.
9. To perform acid fast staining.
10. To perform spore (endospore) staining
11. To perform capsule staining
12. To perform metachromatic granule staining
13. To perform flagella staining
14. Techniques for cultivation of bacteria.
15. Techniques for isolation of microorganisms
16. Isolation of bacteria using selective and differential media.
17. Enumeration of bacterial growth by viable count technique.
1. Molecular Biology of the Cell, by Alberts
2. Genes VIII by Benjamin Lewin
3. Cell Biology by C.B.Pawar
4. Cell Biology by De Roberties
5. Cell Biology, Genetics… by P.S.Verma