GTU Building And Town Planning Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 130603
Subject Name Building And Town Planning
Sr.No Course contents
(A) BUILDING PLANNING
1 Study of general principles of Planning and Architecture.
2 Typical Building Byelaws as per National Building Code and
Development Control Regulation.
3 Planning of residential buildings, Public buildings and Multistoried
4 Planning of Earthquake resistant buildings considering symmetry,
simplicity, continuity, staircase, water tank etc.
5 Preparing Working Drawings of Residential Buildings. Various
types, Scale selection, Material description.
6 Elements of Perspective Drawing-basic terms, One point and
Two point Perspective.
(B) TOWN PLANNING
1 History, Ancient Planning in India, Origin and Growth of towns,
Satellite Town, Ribbon development
2 Civic surveys: Purpose, Types, Data required, Presentation.
3 Elements of City Planning, Circulation, Zoning and land use,
Housing, Landscape pattern, Master plan, Town Center, Civic
centers, Shopping Center, Town Planning Schemes, CBD.
4 Elements of Neighborhood.
5 Slum: definition, Slum improvements.
(A) Four A1Size Drawing sheet:
(1) Residential Planning: Two storied Building: Plans, elevation, section,
lay-out plan, key plan, site plan, area table, schedule of opening.Scale-
(2) Public Building: Ground Floor plan, typical floor plan, elevation, section,
lay-out plan, key plan, site plan, area table, schedule of opening.
(3) Working Drawing: sheet should accommodate min. six types with
sectional details. ( Furniture plan, Drainage lay out, Toilet Detail, Wood
work detail, Kitchen detail, Electrical plan etc)
(4) Perspective Drawing: Two point perspective of sheet -1 planning.
(1) Assignment -1: Principles of Planning & Architecture
(2) Assignment -2: Building Bye laws
(3) Assignment -3: Town Planning
Field Visit: Field visits based on course content are suggested.
1. Building drawing by M.G.Shah, C.M. Kale and S.Y.Patki, Tata Mcgraw Hill, New
2. Building planning, designing and scheduling by Gurcharan Singh, Standard Book
House. New Delhi
3. Planning and designing building by Y.S. Sane, Allies Book Stall.
4. Town Planning by G.K.Hiraskar, Dhanpatrai & Sons Delhi.
5. National Building Code-2005 , New Delhi.
6. Town Planning by S.C. Rangwala, Charotar Publishing House, Anand.
7. General Development Control Regulations published by AUDA and GICEA