GTU Basic Bio Chemistry Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 130403
Subject Name BASIC BIOCHEMISTRY
Sr.No Course content
1. UNIT I: Water and Carbohydrates :
Structure, Properties and Metabolism:
Water: Properties of water and Ionization of water, weak acids, weak bases.
Overview of metabolism. Cellular energy requirement for vital functions,
Structure: Monosaccharides – classification, structure and properties
Disaccharies – Classification, structures and properties
Polysaccharides – Classification, structure and properties
Glycoconjugates – Proteioglycans, glycoproteins and glycolipids,
Lectins as carbohydrate binding proteins,
Glycolysis – Location, Function, Equations and ATP yields
TCA Cycle – Location, Function, Equations and ATP yields
Electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation – Location, Function, P/O
ratios and ATP yields.
Gluconeogenesis – Function, Location, Equations and ATP yields
Glycogen synthesis: Function, Location, Equations and ATP yields
Glycogen Breakdown: Function, Location, Equations and ATP yields
Pentose phosphate pathway – Function, Location, Equations and ATP
Cori cycle – Function, Location, Equations and ATP yields
Glyoxalate pathway – Function, Location, Equations and ATP yields
2. UNIT II – Amino Acid and Protein Structure and Metabolism :
Amino acids: Structure, Physical and Chemical properties, classification
Proteins: Structure, classification and Forces involved in stability of proteins
Metabolism: Amino Acid Biosynthesis and Degradation
3. UNIT III – Lipids and its metabolism :
Lipids – Biological significance, Structure and classification (simple,
compound, derived and lipid associated compounds)
Metabolism – Transport and digestion of fats
Beta oxidation of saturated fatty acids
Beta oxidation of unsaturated (mono – and poly -) fatty acids
Beta oxidation of odd number fatty acids
4. UNIT IV – Nucleic acids structure and metabolism :
Nucleic acid – basic components, structure and types (DNA and RNA)
Metabolism – Denovo and salvage pathway
Purine location, synthesis and salvage
Pyrimidine location, synthesis and salvage
5. UNIT V – Vitamins, Hormones and Minerals :
Vitamins – Fat soluble and Water soluble
Hormones – Plant and animal hormones
Minerals – Macro and micro elements
1. Preparation of standard solutions and buffers.
2. Qualitative tests for carbohydrates.
3. Estimation of monosaccharide by Cole’s method.
4. Estimation of disaccharides by Cole’s method
5. Estimation of reducing sugar by DNSA method
6. Estimation of reducing sugar by Nelson Somogii’s method
7. Estimation of ketose sugar by Roe’s method.
8. Estimation of starch by Anthrone method.
9. Qualitative tests for amino acids.
10. Estimation of Protein by Biuret method.
11. Estimation of Protein by Lowry’s method.
12. Estimation of Protein by Bradford method.
13. Estimation of Iodine number of lipid
14. Estimation of Free fatty acid content of lipid.
15. Saponification value of lipids.
1. Lehninger’s Principles of Biochemistry by David L. Nelson and Michael M Cox,
Macmillan Worth Publisher
2. Lubert Stryer, Biochemistry, 4th Edition, WH Freeman & Co., 2000.
3. Voet and Voet, Biochemistry, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1995.
4. Murray, R.K., Granner, B.K., Mayes, P.A., Rodwell. V.W., Harper’s
Biochemistry, Prentice Hall International.
5. Creighton. T.E., Proteins, Structure and Molecular Properties, 2nd Edition, W.H.
Freeman and Co., 1993