GITAM University VI SEM Immunology and Biotechnology Syllabus
B.Tech. (BT) VI Semester
IMMUNOLOGY AND MEDICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
Course Code : EURBT 602 Category: CE
Credits: 3 Hours : 3 per week
History of immunology; Types of immunity: Innate and adaptive. Cells and organs of
the immune system. B cell, T cell and macrophages, Antigens, Structure of antibody,
antibody classification, antigen-antibody reactions.
Hybridoma technology: Monoclonal antibody production and applications, Major
Histocompatability Complex (MHC); Humoral and cell mediated immunity.
Cytokines, Complement components and biological consequences of complement
Immunological memory, Immunoregulation, Adjuvants and Immunological tolerance,
hyper sensitivity, autoimmunity, Transplantation immunology: graft versus host
reaction, immuno deficiency and immuno proliferative diseases. Vaccines: types of
Blood formation, Anaemias: Blood loss anaemia, Magaloblastic anaemia, Leukaemia,
Necrosis & Apoptosis, Biochemistry of cancer, The Parts of Brain; Brain Tumours,
Principles of Animal Tissue Culture, Types of animal cell cultures and Stem cells.
Stem cell, Bone marrow and kidney transplants. Molecular diagnostics: PCR and RTPCR
based and RFLP based techniques. Gene therapy: types and use of rDNA
constructs for Gene therapy. Transgenic mice development.
1. Kuby Immunology by Ed., T.J.Kindt, R.A. Goldsby and Osborne. 6th ed. 2007.
2. Fundamental Immunology, Paul, WE. 4th ed. 1999 Raven Press.
3. Roitt’s essential immunology. 10th ed. Roitt and Delves. 2005. Blackwell science.
4. Text book of Medical Biochemistry by Ranashinde chaterjee
5. An Introduction to molecular Biotechnology Edited by Michael wink, IK
international publishing house PVT. Ltd.