GITAM University Transport Engineering I Syllabus
Highway Development & History Of Roads:
History of development of roads, Highway Development in India, Classification of Roads,
Planning Surveys, Highway Alignment, Engineering Surveys for Highway Alignment.
Highway Geometric Design:
Highway Cross-Sectional Elements, Stopping Sight Distance, Overtaking Sight Distance,
Intermediate Sight Distance, Camber, Super elevation, Extra Widening, Setback Distance at
horizontal curves, Design of horizontal curves, Transition curves, Vertical curves.
Design of Pavements: Design of Flexible Pavement by C B R method as per IRC 37-2002 and
theory of empirical mechanistic method. Stresses in Rigid pavement by Westergaards and IRC
methods. Design of Overlay by Benkelman Beam method.
Highway Materials, Construction & Maintenance: Highway materials: Aggregate properties and
tests, Bitumen properties and tests. Highway Construction: Earthen roads, WBM roads, bituminous roads and Cement Concrete Roads. Highway Maintenance: Failure of Flexible and Rigid pavements and their maintenance. Highway Drainage: Surface and Sub surface Drainage System.
Traffic Engineering: Traffic Characteristics: Road User Characteristics and Vehicle Characteristics. Traffic Studies: Traffic Volume study, Speed studies and Origin and Destination
studies. Traffic Control Devices: Signs, Signals & Markings and Traffic Islands. Intersection:
Unchannelised and Channelised Intersections and Rotary Intersections.
1. Khanna & Justo, Highway Engineering, Nem Chand & Bros, Roorkee, 5th edition, reprint 1984.
2. Dr. L.R. Kadiyali & Dr. N.B.Lal, Principles and Practice of Highway Engineering, Khanna
3. Partha Chakraborthy & Animesh Das, Principles of Transportation Engineering, Prentice Hall of
4. S.P. Bindra, Highway Engineering, Dhanpatrai Publications.
5. L.R.Kadiyali, Traffic Engineering, Khanna Publishers, 7th edition 2007.
6. C. Jotin Khisty & B. Kent Lal, Introduction to Highway Engineering, Prentice Hall India.
7. Khanna & Justo, Highway Material Testing, Nemeserd and Brother Publications.