GITAM University Transducers and signal Conditioning Syllabus
Static Characteristics of instruments: accuracy, precision, sensitivity, linearity, resolution, hysterisis, threshold, input
impedance – loading effect generalized mathematical model of measurement systems – dynamic characteristics –
operational transfer function – zero, first and second order instruments – impulse, step, ramp and frequency responses of
the above instruments.
Resistive transducers – Resistance potentiometer – loading effect – strain gauges – gauge factor – types of stain gauges:
rosettes, semiconductor stain gauges – strain measuring circuits – resistance thermometers – materials of construction,
characteristics – thermo wells – thermistors.
Inductive transducers – Induction potentiometers – variable reluctance transducers – LVDT construction – applications
– RVDT – Magneto strictive transducers. Capacitive transducers – variable area type – variable air gap type – variable
permittivity type – application as level transducer – capacitor microphone – frequency response.
Piezoelectric transducers – piezoelectric crystals – accelerometer – Hall effect transducers – Thermocouple transducers
– IC sensors for temperature and pressure – Introduction to fiber optic and intelligent sensors.
Signal conditioning – Introduction, Signal conditioning for Differential amplifiers – Instrumentation amplifier – Filters
– AC and DC Bridges – A /D and D / A converters.
1. Mechanical measurements and instrumentation, A.K.Sawhney, Dhanpat Raj
2. Industrial instrumentation, D.Patranabis, TMH
3. Measurement systems – application and design, E.O. Doeblin, McGraw Hill
1. Practical Instrument Transducers, F.G. Oliver, Pitman Publishing Co.
2. Transducers Engg. S. Rangathan, Allied Publishers