GITAM University Project Estimation and Contracts Syllabus
Introduction: Meaning. Errors in estimation, types, related terms in estimate, Contingencies,
different types of approvals, rules ,Standard units, Units of measurement of different items of work.
Specifications: Meaning, purpose, types Specifications, Method of preparation of specification,
general specification, detailed specifications of different items of buildings and other structures.
Contracts: Definition, Element of contract, offer acceptance and consideration, valid contract,
Types of contracts – Lumpsum contract, schedule contract, Item rate contract, sub-contracts, joint
ventures, Department execution of works, Muster Roll Form 21. Piece work Agreement form, work
Contract system with tenders – Definitions – Contract Contractor- Quotation, Earnest money-
Security money. Tender – Tender notice, Tender form, Bidding procedure, Irregularities in Bidding,
award, Arbitration Disputes and claim settlement.
Detailed estimate of buildings. , different items of works in building; Principles of taking out
quantities, detailed measurement form ,Estimate of RCC building – long walls – short wall method
and Centre line method.
Rate analysis – Data sheet for materials and various items of work in buildings and other structures,
schedule of rates, abstract estimate of buildings.
Valuation and rent fixation of buildings; different terms used in valuation and their meaning,
purpose, different method of building valuation and rent fixation.
Roads: Estimation of earth work; different formulae for calculations, Concrete Roads, Bituminous
Reference Books :
1. M.Chakraborti., Estimation, Costing, Specifications and Valuation in Civil Engineering, 17th
2. B.N. Dutta., Estimating and Costing in Civil Engineering, VBSPD Publishers, 16th reprint 1996.
3. Textbook of estimating and costing (Civil Engg.) by G.S. Birde.
4. V N Vazirani & S P Chandola, A Text book of Civil Engineering Estimation and Costing,
Khanna Publishers, 3rd edition, 2001.
5. D.D. Kohli and R.C. Kohli, Textbook on Estimating, Costing and Accounts (Civil).
6. Guna and Sen Gupta, Construction Management Planning.