GITAM University Power Electronics Syllabus
Power Semiconductor Switches: Power diodes, Power transistors – Thyristor family – SCR – Triac – GTO –Power
MOSFET – IGBT – two transistor model – Gate characteristics – static and dynamic characteristics – Turn – ON – Turn
– OFF methods – Series and Parallel operation of Thyristors – Gate triggering circuits – UJT as an SCT trigger –
Thyristor ratings. Protection circuits.
Phase Controlled Rectifiers: Single phase and three phase – half wave – full wave – and Bridge controlled rectifiers –
Daul converters – effect of load and source inductances – Natural commutation.
Choppers: Principle of operation, step up choppers – step down choppers – various types of choppers – Morgan –
Jones – Oscillation chopper – commutation circuits.
Inverters: Claassificatin – series and parallel inverters – single phase and three phase inverters McMurny – McMurray
Bedford inverter – Voltage control – Harmonic reduction – current source invertes.
AC to AC Converters: Principle of operation of CYclo-converter – single phase to single phase Cyclo-converter –
Cyclo-converter circuits – three phase output.
Single phase and three phase voltage controllers using Thyristor and Traic – AC choppers.
1.Power Electronics, M.Rashid. PHI
2.Power Electronics, P.S. Bimbra, Khanna Publishers
3. Power Electronics, Singh M.D. and Khanchandani. TMH
1. An introduction to Thyristors and their applications, M.Rama Murthy, East-West Press
2. Power Electronics, R.Ramshaw.
3. Thyristorised Power Controllers, Dubey., Wiley Eastern Ltd.