GITAM University Mechanics of Solids Syllabus
Effects of force: tension, compression and shear. Stress as internally elastic resistance of a material
– strain – property of elasticity – Hooke’s law – stress-strain diagrams. Lateral strain, Poisson’s
ratio. Complementary Shear Stress, Shear Strain, Shear Modulus. Relation between Modulus of
Elasticity, Modulus of Rigidity and Bulk Modulus. Stresses in Composite Assemblies due to Axial
Effect of transverse force, Shear force, Bending moment diagram for a) Cantilever
b) Simply supported and c) Over hanging beams. Theory of simple bending: flexural normal stress
Stresses on oblique plane – Resultant stress – Principal stress and maximum shear stress and
location of their planes. Mohr’s circle for various cases of Stresses.
Theory of pure torsion for solid and hollow circular sections – torsional shear stress distribution.
Columns and Struts: Combined bending and direct stresses – kern of a section – Euler’s theory –
end conditions, Rankine – Gordon formula – Eccentrically loaded columns – Secant formula.
1. Timoshenko and Young, Elements of strength of materials Affiliated East-West Press Pvt. Ltd,
2. Pundit & Gupta, Structural Analysis by Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd, New Delhi
3. P.N. Singer and P.K. Jha, Elementary mechanics of solids, New Age International Pvt.Ltd
4. Ramamrutham, Strength of materials, Dhanpat Rai & Sons
5. Vazirani and Ratwani, Strength of materials, Khanna Publishers