GITAM University Hydraulic Structures Syllabus
Straight Gravity concrete Dams: Multiple-step design, Internal stresses in gravity dams, stress
distribution around openings, stress distribution around a circular hole in an infinite plate due to a
normal stress on the plate, stress distribution around a horse shoe shaped gallery using phillips and
zanger’s tables, design of reinforcement around galleries in dams. Arch Dams: Economic central
angle of an arch dam, constant radius method, constant angle method, and variable radius and
variable angle design of arch dams, trial load method of analysis of arch dams.
Earth Dams: Seepage analysis, stability analysis of infinite slopes with and without seepage,
stability analysis of finite slopes – friction circle method, method of slices, ordinary method of
slices, simplified Bishop method of slices, spencer’s method.
Spillways: Design of reinforcement in the crest region of an ogee spillway, hydraulic design of
chute spillways, morning glory spillways, and side channel spillways. Intake structures, Trash
Water Conductor System: Economic analysis for determination of sizes of water conductors,
analysis and design of lined pressure tunnels, water hammer analysis, analysis and design of surge
tanks of various types, design of anchor blocks for penstocks, design of penstock junctions, design
of scroll cases and draft tubes.
Gates and Valves: Vertical lift gates, tainter gates, cylindrical gates, butterfly valves, Howell –
Bunger valves, needle valves, flow induced forces on vertical lift gates, flow induced vibration of
vertical lift gates.
Layout of Power Houses.
1. Creager, W.P. Justin, J.D., and Hinds J., Engineering for Dams, Vol.II, Wiley Eastern Private
2. Creager W.P. & Justin J.D., Hydro Electric Hand Book, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Newyork, 1949
3. U.S.B.R., Design of Small Dams, 1960.
4. Davis.C.V. and Sorensen.K.E, Handbook of Applied Hydraulics, Mc Graw Hill Book Co., 1969.
5. T.W.Lambe and R.V.Whitman, Soil Mechanics, J.I.Version, John Wiley & Sons, 1979.
6. Streeter, V.L. and Wylie, G.B., Hydraulic Transients, Mc Graw Hill Book Company, 1967.
7. Hanif Chaudhry, M., Applied Hydraulic Transients, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1979.